Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Glory Days


I was doing my walk tonight in the mall and listening to my Zune. "Glory Days" by Bruce Springstein came on. I got to listening to the words. I haven't heard that song in forever! As I am listening to the words I am thinking, "Man, is that the truth!". I mean when I get together with my friends, especially from high school, we sure get to talking about the "glory days". We talk about the plays, the dusty plaques, the tarnished trophies, and all the fun we had , especially playing sports. The funny thing is that all those things that made me part of what I am today don't mean anything on most days of my life currently. Nobody cares if I was all conference. Nobody cares if I had a big hit to win the game. I must be getting old because it doesn't really matter to me if people do know that. What matters now is what you are now. I still would like to tell stories of my friends and I in sports but I know that that would bore most people to tears. The only person that I really struggle with not telling these stories of my past to is my son. I want him to know some of the highlights of my life but I don't want to bore him with ancient stories of my past. Is that wrong? I guess my dad told my brother and I plenty of stories so maybe that's why I hold back some. If you remember your days in high school I am sure that those days bring back some of the best memories of your life. It is that way for me but presently I keep them to myself most of the time. It kind of scares me because I know if I don't talk about them, and relive them in my mind, that I will start to lose those special memories. I have never been one for "I did this" or "I did that" but I do want my kids and their kids to know something about their father's and grandfather's past. So is it right to talk about the "glory days" and bore your family and friends to death or should you just concentrate on making the most out of the present? I would like to think you could do a little of both! I am thoroughly enjoying life right now but I would also like people to know what put a sparkle in my eye in the past. I guess for now I will stay with the present but the next time I see one of my high school buddies I don't think I will be able to make that same promise. I guess I can sum my feelings up by saying always keep looking forward but never forget the past.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great to share the past, but don't start out like a grandpa like "well, back in my day...".[no offense to grandfathers. ;)] If your son is into sports, then you could encourage him into trying more sports by telling him how well you did. You don't want to bore him, so tell him things that would interest him. He won't think you're boring if he finds it cool that you got trophies and made game-winning plays.

*Lacey Hagerbaumer*

Anonymous said...

Mr. C, I really believe laceys' thought. If your son is into that stuff he won't think you're boring. I personly was always interested in my father's stories and his fathers stories. Most of their stories are about how things used to be when there was no technology and things like that.


chris e