Saturday, January 19, 2008

College Basketball and Chili


What better way to spend a day, where the high is supposed to be around 10, than to make chili and watch a full day of college basketball? Right now I am watching Syracuse and Villanova. It's a good game with Syracuse leading #25 Nova by 5 at half. I am also keeping track of Georgetown and Notre Dame. Georgetown is playing some good ball! They are up 13 at half. Later today is when the real fun starts. North Carolina plays Maryland. The game is at NC. Then, "my team", DUKE, plays Clemson at Cameron. Duke has beat Clemson 21 consecutive times but that certainly doesn't mean it won't be a good game or that Duke won't have to fight for the win.

As for the chili part, I will be making my meatless chili this afternoon. High in protein and flavor and low in fat. It is really simple to make and really satisfies the appetite. Add any kind of beans that you like. I use HOT chili beans, black beans, and pinto beans. I then add 2 cans of diced tomatoes or diced tomatoes "ready for chili". I like a lot of onion in my chili so I use a whole onion that I sweat in about a teaspoon of oil. I also like a lot of chili powder in my chili. I use approximately a 1/4 cup of chili powder for this amount of chili. Occasionally I will use about a tablespoon of cumin along with the chili powder. I then simmer my chili for a minimum of one hour. If you want you can serve this chili with low fat sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and/or chopped green onions. ENJOY!

No comments: