Sunday, November 11, 2007

Veteran's Day


I am going to turn 40 this month which means I have not been directly involved in any war or conflict. I am grateful for that and look upon our servicemen with the highest regard. I am of the opinion that many people, especially young people, have no idea what Veteran's Day is designed for. I would even go as far as to say that many young people don't care. I do think that there are more that care presently than say 10-15 years ago when we, the United States, were not involved in a large conflict or war. I hope I am wrong, but I do not see the kind of respect during the Pledge of Allegiance that would indicate a deep caring for servicemen involved in a life or death conflict. To me, the Pledge is a daily reminder of all our ancestors that have stood up, fought, died, and killed for this country.

Would everyone please do me a favor this year and remember all the veterans that have given the ultimate sacrifice for their country? Go see a veteran you know (grandpa, father, uncle, brothers, cousins, etc.) and say "Thank you!".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Veteran's Day means a lot to me, my dad is a veteran from the Vietnam War. I have things he sent to his family when he was in Vietnam. I agree that people need to show more respect during the Pledge of Allegiance. During our moment of silence before it, I see a lot of people looking at each other, smiling, and whispering. Then they just get up and either mouth the words or say the Pledge as if they are bored with it. In my opinion, I don't know how you can get bored of showing respect to your country. It makes me angry to see this kind of disrespect. They need to take this serious, because I know if I had been the one fighting for my country, I would not want people goofing off during the country's Pledge of Allegiance. It is to show unity and respect for each other and the one's who risk their lives for us. Not as something we are "forced to do". Even if we weren't told to do this, I think we should for our country. The girl who had a lawsuit against it, I think that was stupid. Just because she didn't want to do it, she's going to sue. What is our country coming to???

-Lacey Hagerbaumer

Anonymous said...

I have 2 grandpas that have served in the armed forces. One of them was a p.o.w. in the korean war. I have heard all of his stories about what happened in the war, so I do appreciate what the veterans have done for this country. I also agree with what you say about students not taking the pledge of allegiance serious enough,so kids that don't know someone who was in a war really don't care about the pledge of allience or the moment of silence in the morning.

Brooke Hultz

Anonymous said...

My grandpa fought in WW II and my great-uncle fought in the Korean War. It is extremely disrespectful when people, including some in my class, goof off during the pledge and the moment of silence. Too many times have I seen kids whispering, laughing, acting silly, or just plain stupid. Most of them don't even care.

MICHAEL SPRAGUE,7TH GRADE

Anonymous said...

I Know How you feel Mr.C I am Bron on Nov.11 and I have alot of Family members in the Army and Navy like my Aunt she is A Caption or something like that and is At the war right now and her job is to find out who the wounded and the died people are. My great grandpa fought in War War 2 and is still alive today he is one of my heros because he fougth for his country and for its freedom
-Rebecca Black