Friday, November 9, 2007

Occupations

"What do you want to do with your life?" Even though this is a cheesy quote from a Twisted Sister video, it is a question that you will have to eventually answer. What kind of profession do you want to have when you finish with you school career? There are many questions you need to ask yourself. Are you concerned with making a lot of money? Are you worried about liking you job? Do you want good benefits? How much school do you want to, or are willing to, go through? Do you want "just a job" or a profession?

I was lucky enough to know exactly what I wanted to do by the time I was in seventh grade! I don't know too many kids that know what they want to do that early in life. I was able to focus on my goal because I knew what my goal was. I consider myself lucky to be doing what I love. The money could be better but I enjoy my job and making a difference in kid's lives. In my opinion, the sooner you know what you want to do the better. Again, this worked for me but is not everybody's cup of tea. My brother didn't know what he wanted to do until he was around 28, and I think it has worked out well for him.

I think that too many people place how much money they make too high on the priority list. I know of people that make a lot of money but hate their job. To me that is ridiculous. YOU HAVE TO LOVE WHAT YOU DO! That is the one piece of advice I will give you. If you don't like what you do then what is the point of doing it? The people I know of that make a good amount of money usually are working such long, or odd, hours they don't get a chance to enjoy the money they make anyway.

Remember, pick a job that you are going to like (or think you are going to like) and keep your eyes on the prize! If you end up not liking your job, get out of it and find one that you do like.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Carey, I want to either be an actress (I love to act) or a lawyer (I like to argue and debate). Which both of which would be high paying jobs. I really want to be an actress, though. I have set a goal on that and I hope I fufill it just like you fufilled your dream. Also what you said about the money for teachers. Teachers actually don't get alot of money in their paycheck. I used to want to be a teacher but then I thought of the money issue. So I changed it to an actress or a lawyer. I want any high paying jobs because I like having money to spend and I want to buy things that I like. Which all require money. I hope I get the job I want like you got yours.

K. Shepard

Anonymous said...

I want to be a children pshioligist when i grow up beause i love working with kids who have problems in their lives but no one to talk to. i think the best way to cope with problems is to talk about them with someone you can trust. i agree that you would have to love your job to want to get up and go to your job day after day.
C.Porter 11/09/07

Anonymous said...

I still don't know what I want to be, but I'm okay with that. I just want to enjoy being a kid while I still am one! Probably around Junior or Senior year I know what I'll want to be. Yeah, I think its ok if you already know what you want to be. Also if you already know what you want to be you can work on your goal and go for it. Although if you don't know, then at my age I still have a little while before having to decide, I'll decide eventually. Hopely not too late!
M. Sherwood

Anonymous said...

Ok, so one my most favorite things to do is to, DANCE! So, I have been dancing for about 7 years straight and is still going strong!when I get older I would realy like to do something with dancing, like going professionally on Broadway doing some big musical, or teaching dance locally or in another big city!So when you asked the question are you worried about liking the job, I'll say of course not,I absolutely love to dance! I really dont care about how much schooling it takes, just as long as I am doing what I love. Money, just as long as I am dancing I'll be ok.
~Ariann Ippnsen~

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Mr. Carey, people do look for high paying jobs. I know what I want to do, but it's not about the money, it's about what I think I could enjoy for my whole life. I love to write, writing is my favorite thing to do. If I become a writer, I won't make money as much as a lot of people will. It isn't about the money though, if someone loves doing something, they should look for a job that includes doing whatever that is. I believe that I'll never be happy if I have a job that I don't like. And I think goes for everyone out there.
-H. Mahon

Anonymous said...

I don't really know what I want to do because I think of the amount of pay how fun and challanging it is,but here are some ideas football,soccer,baseball,or the FBI.Mr.Carey this is a very good subject ask people about because it might make them think more. 11/12/07 Roman Volk

NDM said...

Humble advice that couldn't sum it up better. There was a saying of Confucious' stating "To love your job is never to have worked a day in your life." Go for it, and if people jeer then all the better, years down the road you'll be all the happier. There is no wasted time either, especially for regrets on past choices. The fact is you are who you are because of what you did in the past. Right on Mr. C, good topic!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Carey,
I think that it is very important to pursue a career that you think you will enjoy. You are going to be working for over half of your life so you might as well enjoy what you are doing.

Surprisingly, for the majority of my life I wanted to be a teacher. I think the motive for this was that I have always enjoyed learning and I thought it would be fun to teach other kids. Now, realizing how disrespectful and uninterested in learning most kids are, I don't think that this is the job for me. I have little patience and get annoyed when people ask me "stupid questions".
Also, teachers don't get paid enough for what they do. Honestly, most people don't realize how difficult it would be to teach a bunch of kids that don't even want to learn.

That being said, currently, I think that I want to be either and accountant or a lawyer. I want a high-paying job. I enjoy math and organization as well as debating and voicing my opinion to benefit others.

This may sound like a cliché, but I also would like to run for political office. I would probably be one of the first politicians that actually cared about the well-being of citizens and didn't just say untrue statement to get elected.

Overall, choosing an occupation is a very important decision that everyone has to make one day. As long as we decide with precaution and practicality, I think everyone can be happy with the way their life turns out.
-Catherine Richards

Anonymous said...

I definitely do agree that people these days worry too much about how much that job will pay. As do you, I believe that people should choose a job that they will enjoy.As long as that job pays enough for you to be able to support your family, as far as I'm concerned just follow your
dreams!!

Audrey Zanger