Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The World's Most Polluted Places


This is very interesting. I can't believe that there are no cities from the United States on this list! This pictorial lists the number of people potentially affected, type of pollutant, and the source of pollution. Having been to New York City I can't believe that these places are worse. The only place on the list that I am familiar with is Chernobyl, Ukraine. We have discussed, and done papers on, this location in my high school class. Some of the pictures are unbelievable.

I wonder what the top ten polluted places in the United States are?

3 comments:

Shaun Carey said...

List of polluted U.S. cities:
The first one listed is for smog and the second one is for particles. This is as of 2007.

Rank
Smog:
Most polluted cities
Rank
Particles:
Most polluted cities
1
Los Angeles (CA)
1
Los Angeles (CA)
2
Bakersfiled (CA)
2
Pittsburgh (PA)
3
Visalia-Porterville (CA)
3
Bakersfield (CA)
4
Fresno (CA)
4
Birmingham (AL)
5
Houston (TX)
5
Detroit (MI)
6
Merced (CA)
6
Cleveland (OH)
7
Dallas (TX)
7
Visalia (CA)
8
Sacramento (CA)
8
Cincinnati (OH)
9
Baton Rouge (LA)
9
Indianapolis (IN)
10
New York (NY)
10
ST Louis (MO)

I found this on http://www.citymayors.com/environment/polluted_uscities.html

Anonymous said...

Mr. C,
I can't believe that the U.S. has no cities on that list, either! To say the least, some of the big cities in this country aren't exactly "environment friendly". Trees literally crash and burn to make room for more houses. Industrial buildings send smoke, gas and other pollutants into the air and the people resembling these industries and occupations usually don't realize the smog, let alone the morality of environmentalists who try to keep the air clean. This was a very interesting article.

~*Kellie M.-8th Grd.(Yea, It's me. I use big words when I have strong opinions.)*~

Shaun Carey said...

Kellie,

You do have a lot to say when you have a strong opinion. Well written!