Monday, October 1, 2007

Harvest Time


Well, it is harvest time again. Harvest time for me means being mom and dad for a couple of weeks (not really, just in a couple of ways). My wife works for ADM and usually has to work some over time during harvest. Don't get me wrong, it is not like she is working 24/7 but she usually is so tired when she does get home that she needs that time to recuperate.

During the non-harvest times of the year we share duties pretty equally. We both share the cleaning. I cook. She cleans up the meals. She pays the bills. We split putting the kids to bed, etc. During harvest is a special time for me because I get the chance to see all aspects of our kids lives and I also get a very quick lesson on how difficult it would be to be a single parent. I think all parents should get a chance to try to tackle a couple of weeks on their own. It sure lets you know how important your other half is!

My wife still does quite a bit during harvest but I guess it is just that we are out of our routine. So here we go...running my son to scouts and football, running my daughter to dance, keeping the notes from school straight, making sure the homework gets done, making sure the kids get their baths, and making sure my wife knows I appreciate all she does.

12 comments:

mello.yello13 said...

Do all parents have to do that? Man that must be difficult. I mean I do chores and voluntary work and don't get an alouance. I thought that was bad.

Anonymous said...

hey Mr.C,

I believe that any one who is thinking about a divorce should try this,just stay away from each other and each take a week with the kids. They would appriciate the other more.What do you think about this idea?

Daulton Speckhart

Shaun Carey said...

Daulton,

I think you might have something there! They sure would appreciate each other more.

Shaun Carey said...

Matt,

I don't know about all parents, but I am sure all parents go through times when it is hard to get everything done that they want to. It can be difficult at times.

Anonymous said...

Hi mr.C. i think it wouldn't be all that hard to be a single parent - of one kid...

Single Parent = one kid...

Couple = more than one is okay...


PercheronLover 12

Anonymous said...

u know, i would like to have more than one kid as long as i had a spouse to help me take care of them
:-)

Grace Behrensmeyer
oct. 2

Anonymous said...

Mr. C

I agree with you. It would be really hard to be a single parent with one child but I couldn't imagin having two, three, or more kids totake care of. I agree with Daulton that if two parents are thinking of getting divorced they should try this.

Chad Lentz 8thgrade

Anonymous said...

Mr. C- I Agree...
It seems as every year that passes by more and more people are getting divorsed making it hard on theirselves and their kids.I agree with what Dalton said, that parents should try to spend at least a week with thier kids, then maybe they would realize what they have and shouldn't be able to live with out!And they would get to know their kids more.
Alot of times when my parents go out for a night or are busy I have to watch my little brother Avery. Triing to cook, clean, do homework,and ect.is hard to do with watching one child, with more I cant even think of how to get things done and handel kids.
You need your kids and your kids need you!...
~Kelsie Huber~

Anonymous said...

Mr. Carey
I know what your talking about because right now my dad is in the fields and he doesn't get home until late so that means that I have to do all the chores around the house and it sucks!
-Regan-

Anonymous said...

ya harvest time can b hectic, i am always running for my dad to get parts and other things for my dad...it the busiest time of the year for him...and i have to help out a lot around the house when he is in the fields...

Anonymous said...

Mr.C,

I agree with you so much. So many parents are divorsing any more, and it is getting harder and harder on the parents. I go over to Sierra's alot and her mom is divorsed and she is good at being a single mom, but it seems to be a little hard on her.
A funny thing is that my mom works at ADM, but in the food company. LOL

Anonymous said...

Mr.C,

Sorry, but the message above is Megan. Sorry I got so intreased in the what the message that I forgot to put my name.

Megan Boone