Friday, October 5, 2007

Culver Stockton Homecoming


It has been 17 years since I graduated from college. Geesh! Has it been that long ago? I attended Culver Stockton College from 1985 until 1990(Yes, I was on the 5 year plan!). Those days were some of the best days of my life. As a freshman I made many friends from all walks of life. I did not join a fraternity my freshman year. When I was a sophomore my best friend and I decided to give fraternity life a try. We became men of Sigma Phi Epsilon. In the next four years we had some of the best times and made some of the best friends a person could ever ask for.

This year I am going back for Homecoming. I won't make all of it and I don't even know if any of my fraternity brothers are going to be there. I have some "old" students of mine that are also alum and some friends that still live around here from other fraternities that will be attending some of the festivities. I just want to see some old faces that take me back to the days when we all had it made. My fraternity brothers and I did almost everything together. We went "out". We went to see movies. We participated in Greek Week. We loved intramurals and were all very competitive. We went back home with each other to experience another "home town" and had some great parties at "the old frat house". Yes, we didn't always get along but when you put 10-12 guys living together, in one house, there are bound to be some differences. We learned to live with them and in the process became close friends. To this day I know that any of these guys would do anything for me if I asked. It is a great feeling to have friends like that.

17 years! Where did they go? I sure hope that some of my students are lucky enough to have some of the experiences I have had and develop close friendships like my fraternity brothers and I have.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it very hard in college? I don't think that I will ever have enough money for even a year, even if I work myself into a frenzy. If a kid wants to go to college badly enough, they should let them. This summer, there is a college somewhere that is giving bright students a chance to experiance college life for three weeks. They get to live in a dorm and all.

Grace Behrensmeyer

Shaun Carey said...

Grace,

College is hard but it is also fun and exciting. It is a new part of your life, exploring living on your own and being responsible for yourself.

Anonymous said...

sounds okay...but I'm not sure that I would like being away from home for *gasp!* four years at the least.

Grace Behrensmeyer

Anonymous said...

Did you now if you have enough indian in you, you can go to college for free? Sound crazy but its true. College may be hard but like Mr. C said its probobly fun. Sounds like a lot of fun to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!



By:Alex Zanger

Anonymous said...

It sounds awsome. No parents! But it sounds hard. Losing all your old friends and making new ones sounds pretty depressing.

Landon Epperson

Shaun Carey said...

Landon,

You don't lose your old friends but it is harder to stay in contact. And as far as making friends, that is one of the fun parts of college. When you get to be 18 or so you will be ready for something new.