Thursday, October 11, 2007

A "First Concert" Experience


My brother and I are taking my son to his first concert this weekend. He is really excited, even though I don't think he has any idea what to expect. We are going to Pop's in St. Louis for the concert. My brother and I have been there before and we both think it is a great place to see a band play. You are able to get pretty close to the band and it makes you feel more like you are part of the show. A lot of pretty good bands play at Pop's. I am a big metal fan, and always will be and my son seems to like the music and seems to have the "metal-mentality". We will be seeing Down. For those of you that are not familiar with Down, the band includes Philip Anselmo (lead singer of Pantera and, in my opinion, the best metal singer on the planet!), Rex (bass player for Pantera), and Pepper Keenan (member of Corrosion of Conformity). I have seen Phil play with a couple of other bands and he never disappoints!

Here is what I hope. I hope my son feels the energy of the concert experience and refers to this as one of his "best memories". I hope he gets totally engulfed in the pounding and screaming of the live show. I hope he learns to enjoy music (any, that he ends up liking) the same way I do. I would love it if he fell in love with metal the way I did when I was younger but I know that different music moves all of us in different ways. Here's to my young son "rocking out" at his first concert!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr.C
I'm sure your son will love the concert. I REALLY loved my first concert...Also that band is really good in my opinion, so i have a feeling that he isn't going to have a problem enjoying the music and everything about the concert.Well I hope you all have fun at the concert! Oh yea, metal music rocks!
well see you later
-Danielle Ellison 8th grade

dragondevel9 said...

Have a great time at the concert. I hope you and your son have a great time.

Anonymous said...

Mr. C,
My first concert that I went to was in Fort Madison after a rodeo and it was a great feeling racing the crowd to the front of the stage. Only two people away created an awesome show. Well, I think that your son will have a good time and it's good that you two can share the same interest in music.
Eric Mast

Anonymous said...

Mr.Carey
In my opionion I don't like metal music. No offense,I like hip-hop, rap, R-b, and country. I really hope your son enjoys the conceret. I loved my first concert in St.Louis. Have a great time!!!

*Kaleen Lay*

Anonymous said...

metal rocks...most the time. county stinks, hip-hop stinks, and rap stinks(most the time).

no offence =P

Shaun Carey said...

The concert was awesome and my son loved it. He got his first concert t-shirt.

Anonymous said...

i relly dont like metal.COUNTRY IS THE BEST.

Anonymous said...

That was me brandon epley up above

Unknown said...

what up carrey? lol yea i agree with the rest of them. im sure your son will love his first concert cuz i know i did.

Anonymous said...

metal is the best music ever!!!

Anonymous said...

who doesn't love their first concert! the feel of live music is such a rush! my dad took me to my first concert, but i wasn't quite as young, i was 16. He took me and my little brother to go see Nickelback in Springfield! Since they are one of my favorite bands, it was an amazing thing to be able to share that with my dad. ooo...and t-shirts are always a bonus...it feels like something special that you can share with everyone!

by heidi boden!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. C! I really admire the fact that you encourage your son to like whatever music that may move him, or that is in his best interest! I have never been to a heavy metal music concert myself,or for that matter any concert at all. But my dad does listen to some heavy metal and it is does not seem that bad. I am sure that if I listened to it more, I might learn to enjoy it. It's really awesome that your son liked the concert! I'm sure that he will learn to love it just as much as you! PS: I forgot to do the assignment about posting a comment.Sorry!
-Laaken Stotler 8th grade