Wednesday, May 30, 2007

SCHOOL'S OUT!



Well school is out for summer. I had a great year and anticipate another great year next year. I have been out of town for a few days so I thought I better get another post up and going. I want to challenge junior high and high school kids to better themselves this summer. I don't mean just "my" kids. I mean every kid that reads this blog. I challenge kids to read more, volunteer in your community, volunteer to help an elderly person in your neighborhood, teach a younger sibling. or younger friend, something useful, etc. There are many things out there that you can do to better yourself. You will find out how good you can feel when you do something that is not required or asked of you. This type of behavior is addicting and can lead to wonderful things. I am not telling you to not have fun this summer! I am telling you to make sure that you understand that other people may not be able to have the same fun, and exciting, summer that you have planned, but with your help, they could have an enjoyable summer. Who knows, maybe you may even make some new friends and develop some great characteristics that will help you later in life. There is nothing better than hearing "thank you", or seeing a big smile on someone's face, after you help them in a situation in which they thought there was going to be no help.

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Carey,
I find it interesting that you are encouraging kids to read when you always conplain about my obbsessive amount of time spent reading. Well irregardless, I think it is a great idea to get kids involved in their community. I am helping out at a camp for younger kids this summer as a way to get involved as well as a way to have fun and I hope other kids can to the same.
By the way, I had an outstanding year of 7th grade and I look forward to another great year.
-Catherine

Shaun Carey said...

Catherine,

Key word "obsessive"! That is really cool that you are helping out at a camp this summer. I hope you have a good time. See you in August.

Keep checking back and commenting on my blogs.