Monday, May 14, 2007

Manners (The Lack Thereof)


My first post ever was on the lack of positive thinking in this world. I was recently reminded that manners, and respect for other individuals, is also very hard to find in many places. My daughter was in a dance recital, and we (parents, family, friends, etc.), were instructed to stay quiet during the dance routines and to clear the aisles as soon as possible between dance routines. It was a total joke! You could sure tell when relatives and friends of certain dancers were not performing. Adults were talking, to each other and on cell phones, and moving about like nothing was going on. It was ridiculous! My family, and several others, were following directions but it did not matter. There were several times the instructor had to wait for the next performance because people were not doing what they were supposed to. We are talking about adults! My son was better behaved than many of the adults. Don't all young people that work hard on a routine for months deserve everyone's attention for a few minutes? I will be honest. I do not like dance recitals. I am a sports person. I am also a teacher. Even though I do not like dance recitals, I do know that all these young people worked extremely hard to be able to perform in front of this large audience. We, as a family, did what we were told so that everyone could enjoy the show and focus on the child they came to see. I can not even begin to count how many adults I have heard complain about children not listening or following directions. How can we expect children to follow directions when we, as adults, can't follow directions? For some reason many adults feel that they are immune to instruction because they are adults. Just remember, children do what they see!

By the way, the dancers were all wonderful! You could sure tell they worked hard. Congratulations to the teachers and dancers for putting on a wonderful program.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with this, although kids like us don't listen too well. Adults get mad at us and then they'll do the same thing the very next second. By the way I put the no named positive thinking one, that said you were mean to your students. heheheh don't hate me cuz you ain't me
-Megan S.-

Anonymous said...

I agree too. Just because children are expected to follow directions doesn't mean adults shouldn't be expected to too. I was the one who put *anonymous* on the To Smoke Or Not To Smoke one. Sorry if it made you mad.

*~Lacey H~*

Shaun Carey said...

Lacey and Megan,

Thanks for "fessin'" up to not putting your name. I like that you guys have your own opinions but you must be able to claim your opinion and defend it.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Carey,
I think that young adults, as well as adults are very disrespectful towards others when it comes to public places. As you probably know, I get distracted very easily. I remember one time, when I went to the movie theator, someones cell phone went off and they would not even take the common courtesy to turn it off. After about 20 min,(I may be exaggrerating a little; more like 1 or 2 because phones don't even ring for 20 minutes) they turned it off. By then, I was completely lost in the movie and annoyed at the fact that these people (adults suprisingly) would not turn off, or even down their phones. The sad thing is, I remember the rude people that disrupted the movie, but it escapes me the actual title of the movie.
Overall, I think that the real reason for such rude and disrespectful adults and young adults is because of their "all about me" attitude. Although I may be contridicting myself, and I may sound like a grandma, young people these days are too spoiled to show respect towards other people.
-Catherine

Anonymous said...

Mr. C
I agree with you 100%. I don't get it. Why do adults tell us not to talk at presentations when they talk in the middle of a show. If they want us to learn to be quiet during a show then why do they talk.
-Chad Lentz-

Anonymous said...

Mr. C,
I think adults should be just as obligated as us lids to follow the rules. It's non fair if they punish us for not following rules when they are the one setting up the example. If they can punish us for being bad why do they not follow the rules either? Kids should be able to punish the parents, haha. But anyways i agree it was incredible rude of those people to not be quiet while the children were preforming.

~Sarah W., 7th grade

Shaun Carey said...

Sarah W.,

I think maybe the parents should be punished in some way. Don't you? Maybe they should be removed from the program.

Anonymous said...

Mr. C,
I think the parents should have been more quiet, and they should have been warned once, then sent out of the program. Its incredibly rude for them to do that. Especially when the children are trying to perform and put on a good show. If I was one of the kids I would have been very upset if people interupted my part and were loud. Adults should be even more expexcted to follow directions and set a good example for the children.

*~Lacey H~*