Thursday, August 2, 2007

A Perfect Day With The Kids

I had one of those memorable, perfect days with my kids yesterday. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it is special. We didn't do anything special. We took a walk around the mall, visiting the music store (for me) and the pet store (for all of us). The pet store was extremely special. The way the kids reacted to the different animals, and the giggles they cut loose when they were playing with the puppies and kittens, were priceless. After our walk we ate at a restaurant in the mall and then went and saw Ratatoullie. The kids were getting along, which is unusual for my two. They were in a good mood. We had a lot of laughs and I thoroughly enjoyed their company. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids and I love spending time with them, but at their ages (6 and 9) they can be a handful when they are not getting along. My brother and I were the same way. Do all siblings scrap like this? I have a "picker"(my son) and a "whiner"(my daughter). They are good kids and don't do anything that leads me to believe that they will be incarcerated in later years. By the way, that was a funny. They do many things around the house. They are usually polite and show considerable compassion for someone (even each other) if they are hurting physically and mentally. I am a lucky man. I have a wonderful wife and two wonderful kids. I don't know if I am writing this for you guys or for me. I think every once in a while we need to step back and realize just how good we have it. This time of year, a few weeks before school starts, it seems I am always reminiscing about the past summer and what we have done, and not done. Sometimes it seems there just isn't enough time to get all the things in that you want the kids to have as memories when they get older. My theory is this: Do what you can, when you can, and always enjoy life. You can only do your best. If there is not time for everything then there is not time for everything!

No comments: