Monday, August 13, 2007

The Corn Festival and the Kids Being Gone



The family and I just got back yesterday from the Corn Festival. The festival is held in West Point, IA. It is a four day affair but my wife and I learned a few years ago to spend the day Saturday and hang around until the parade is over on Sunday (around 1 or so). Some of the highlights are free sweet corn, plenty of rides for the kids, and a killer grilled chicken dinner. There are literally thousands of people that come to this event! It's a great "family" affair. I will have to say, this year, the heat took some of the fun out of the festival but it was still great to see our family and friends in a festive atmosphere.

I am going to start working in my room at school on Wednesday of this week. I am excited to get back in the groove of things. The kids are making one more trip to Grandma and Grandpa's before the summer is over. They are spending four days there! I think it is the longest my wife and I have been without the kids. This has good and bad points. We will miss them immensely but I will be able to get a great jump on school and be able to spend some quality time with my wife. Like my wife said, "What are we going to do without the kids?". When you are used to having them around it is easy to forget what you did before you had them. We are planning on having another "fun" day tomorrow as the last "real" day of summer with me. With the heat we will maybe see a movie and maybe eat lunch out. Something like that anyway. I am going to miss them when school starts.

No comments: