Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Here it Comes!


My calendar is filling up already. We just got my son signed up for football this fall and my daughter signed up for dance for the year. My school items are already ready and waiting on my calendar and my adrenaline is beginning to flow. There is just something about knowing that you have to be organized, and have pretty much every minute of a day planned out, that makes you feel very accomplished at the end of a busy day, and week. It is very gratifying that you have survived the tornado of a school, and extracurricular, week. We all, parents, do it. My wife and I are not special. We do work well together and we both know what our strong, and weak, parts of completing the schedule, are.

As you parents know, once the school year starts it is like a crazy-fast carnival ride that you can't get off of. The days blur into weeks, the weeks into months. It's a good time but extremely busy! Some of the things my kids are involved in are cub scouts, football, basketball, daisy scouts, and dance. Along with the extracurricular schedule you also have to keep the grandparents happy with invitations to visit and trips to their houses. Of course we will always have homework to keep up on with the kids and all the other daily chores that have to get done. Sometimes it doesn't seem like there is enough time in the day but everything always seems to done eventually.

So as I said, "Here it Comes". It waits for no one. So hunker down for the long haul and always remember to take the time to "smell the roses". Take the time to laugh with your kids, wrestle them around, read a story, play catch, or play a board game. Eat as many meals together as a family as you can and talk to your kids about their day and what is going on with their life. Enjoy these times because before you know it not only will the school year be gone but so will your children.

No comments: