Monday, July 23, 2007

Pro Sports Are Turning Into A Joke



Steroids, dog fighting, refs throwing games, oh my!

Tim Donaghy must not have a brain in his head! He was a NBA ref with a gambling problem, which connects him with a bookie who is connected with the mob. He threw games! "Gee, I don't think anybody will notice." Professional sports are really starting to infuriate me! Skill and hard work seem to be valued less and less! Now you can't watch a game in any pro sport without linking it to professional wrestling. I mean, come on, who knows, maybe all playoff series are scripted! Maybe at least one ref, umpire, or official is taking a cut in some way or another. Maybe at least one player is engaging in something illegal to make an extra buck, or recuperate faster, during a series. I don't think in today's professional sports we can ever be sure anymore that these players, refs (officials), are doing what they are doing for the love of the game and the respectability of the sport.

What are people thinking? I do think this story has dried up some of the controversy surrounding steroids and Michael Vick. Good for Barry and Michael. Bad for the NBA. Right now, I don't know if I will watch an NBA game this upcoming season. What is the point? I guess I could call the refs and see if my team (Lakers) is going to come out on top. I have a few words for all involved in professional sports...pride, dignity, love of the game, honesty, heritage, and history. By the way, don't forget who pays your salary, THE FANS! No fans, no salary. I guess what it boils down to is more money= more scandals and controversy.

Growing up I would have played pro baseball for free! I wanted to be known as the kid from the small town that made it big, loved the game, and did everything he could to get there. Unfortunately, I did not have the talent. I think somewhere along the line the people involved in pro sports have forgotten why they are "playing" in the first place!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

S- Great to have a visit from a fellow teacher and sports fan. I havent even written about the whole NBA thing, but i think its also terrible.

Guys like the NFL commish cracking down on some of the problem areas are going to help.

Again, thanks for the visit.

Hipster

Anonymous said...

I have never thought it that way. but i think that the players that are just coming in to the NBA should pump up the NBA. just like magic, bird, and jordan did we are nearing a point were there are all these good older players are slowing down the game. such as shaq, peyton, and tim duncan.

landon epperson

Shaun Carey said...

Landon,

I think Labron is a good start in turning the NBA into what it used to be. Hopefully Oden and Durant can lend a hand also. (Oden is out of the conversation this year though.)

Anonymous said...

Mr. Carrey i cant believe Oden is already out for the season......Tanner Plunk