Monday, July 16, 2007

More on the Smoking Ban



The smoking ban is now moving to outdoors! I don't think I agree with this particular stance but I am sure that many people have reasons why this is a good idea. I recently got to discuss this topic (smoking ban in general) with my wife's uncle. He is a smoker and really gets fired up on this topic. He is convinced that this is more a freedom issue than it is a health issue. According to an article in USA Today there are now around 1,100 cities and counties that have banned smoking in outdoor areas. Some places where these smoking bans are in affect are parks, cafes, and stadiums. Is this a health concern or is it more a ban on freedoms in the United States? Fire safety was mentioned as one reasons for the smoking ban. I think this is a great reason for the ban. What better reason (other than health) do you need? Some beaches have banned smoking due to litter. The article said that cigarettes were the number one source of debris in global beach cleanups. Both of these reasons, fire safety and litter, were two reasons I had not even considered. I know, some of you smokers are saying that if we ban smoking due to litter then what's next, soda and juice cans? Well, the key to me is that evidentially these are not the number one source of debris. Stanford researchers also published some interesting findings in May concerning secondhand smoke outside. I do think that Big Brother is getting closer? If this spreads across the country, what is next?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that the smoking ban is so stupid! Especially since they are going to charge you more for cigarettes. It is a loss of freedom. This country isn't free anymore. What happened to the first ammendmant of the Bill of Rights? Seriously! My family smokes and I understand that it is hard to quit, and I know how much it costs. I understand the health problems, fire risks, and littering, but people should be able to smoke. If not they will just sit at home to smoke. When people go to bars they expect to be able to smoke and drink they aren't going to go there anymore if they can't smoke. They will sit at home to smoke and drink. Tobacco companies are going to go out of business. Do they really think that bars aren't going to allow smoking? Hopefully not because I know a lot of the local bars would allow smoking, because they know they are going to lose business.

(ur student)
*Lacey*

Shaun Carey said...

Lacey,

You make some good points! Keep reading my posts and making comments.

Mr. C

Anonymous said...

Why ban smoking? People are still going to get there hands on it. Yes i dont see why people smoke but it doesn't matter you can make it illeagle and people are still going to smoke. Now they will be higher priced, people who smoke will be even more unhappy, then again it may help cut down the number of people smoking. My mother smokes so I no whats it like to live with one who smokes, its just gonna go down hill from here
By:Alex Zanger

Anonymous said...

Opps I forgot the (.)
By Alex Zanger