Wednesday, June 6, 2007

What Do Teachers Do In The Summer?


What do teachers do in the summer? That is a question that is always asked. Some of us go back to school. Some of us travel. Some of us work another job. Those of us that have kids usually spend the summer dropping off and picking up our kids from summer activities (summer ball, camps, etc.). I thought I would tell you a little about my summer.

I usually go to bed later than usual but I still usually get up around 6:30 so I can do my morning walk (about 2 1/2 miles). I do the walk that early so I can get back before my wife leaves for work. The "regular" things I do around the house are pretty mundane. I do yard work, clean, cook, and run the kids around. This year my daughter is in her second year of T-ball and my son just finished up football camp at QND. The kids are also taking swimming lessons this summer again. My son will also be attending "Kid's College" for his third consecutive year. I always have projects that I like to get done during the summer. This year I have already painted the trim on the front porch and I am working on painting the trim on the garage. Every summer I try to clean out the garage and the basement. I camp, fish, go to movies, and play ball with my kids as often as I can. By the way, my son and I just got back from Pirates of the Caribbean - At World's End and I thought it was great! I thoroughly enjoy the kids!...most days. I really consider myself lucky to be able to spend this time with my kids and watch them grow and mature during the summer months. This summer, like most summers, I have to get ahead on Powerpoints for my new book in Physical Science. Next year it will hopefully be Life Science. I also try to take the kids to my parents for 4-5 days during the summer. We always spend those 4-5 days running, trying to get all the fun we can get packed into those 4-5 days.

Some of you might say that I should get another job during the summer. First of all, does this not sound like a job! Secondly, any job I would get during the summer would not even pay for daycare costs for the summer. So to all of you that are angry or jealous of the summers that teachers have, you should be. This is a special time especially when you have kids.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Carey,
I cannot believe you critisize me on my spelling mistakes.

"By the way, my son and I just got back form Pirates of the Carribean - At World's End..."

I think that in this sentence you meant "from" instead of "form". This could have been a typo, but spelling Caribbean wrong is just sad.
Despite you minor, but noticeable spelling errors, I found this to be an interesting blog entry due to the fact I never really knew what teachers did during the summer.
This has nothing to do with the topic, but I too saw the Pirates of the Caribbean movie and thought it was good.
-Catherine

Shaun Carey said...

Catherine,

You got me. I corrected the errors but I also found one in your comment; "Despite you minor..."so ha! I hope you are having a great summer.

Anonymous said...

I thought teachers slept in their coffins all summer.
LOL!!!
MICHAEL SPRAGUE 7TH GRADE

Anonymous said...

I think teachers fool around all summer and in the school year and leave us with all of the work. If anyone wants to commet back please do.

Shaun Carey said...

Shelton,

If you only had a clue to what it takes to be a teacher. There is a lot more to it than you might imagine.

Anonymous said...

MR.Carey im sure there is more work the I think.